Cohoat & O'Neal
John “Doc” O’Neal
“Doc” O’Neal is a lifelong resident of Carmel, Indiana. Doc’s background includes the establishment of a private golf Club, The Bridgewater Club, the premier golf and residential community in the State of Indiana including a 750 acre high end residential development. The Bridgewater Club includes an 80,000 square foot clubhouse, including fitness, swimming, outstanding food and beverage, large events including wedding receptions, a 9-hole executive golf course and an 18-hole Pete Dye Championship golf course which was host to the 2005 Junior Solheim Cup.
In addition, Doc was President of Crooked Stick Golf Club, President of the Carmel Dads’ Club, and founding President of the Indiana Golf Foundation and was responsible for raising the necessary funds ($ 2,500,000) to build the Gongaware Golf Academy located in Franklin, Indiana. Doc was Chairman of the 1993 U.S. Women’s Open Championship played at Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel, Indiana. He has been directly involved in assisting over 4,000 young people learn and understand all facets of the game of golf.
Over the past six years Doc O’Neal and Matt Cohoat have been responsible for the growth of a wonderful daily fee golf course, Wood Wind Golf Club located in Westfield, Indiana. In that time the rounds of golf increased approximately from just over 17,000 rounds to over 32,000.
Doc’s golf accomplishments include Captain and MVP of the Purdue University Men’s Golf Team, 1987 Indiana Runner-up Player of the Year, Indiana State Amateur Runner-up in 1997, Crooked Stick Club Champion in 1980 and 1988, the 1982 Northern Open Champion, and Doc was inducted into the Indiana High School Hall of Fame in 1993.
Doc is married to Carol Culp O’Neal and they have four children and three granddaughters.
Matt is Chief Financial Officer of Becknell Industrial Properties, a privately-held full-service real estate developer and owner of over 11.0 million square feet of industrial warehouse and distribution properties located in 29 states across the United States. Matt is responsible for accounting, finance, IT, HR and administrative services at Becknell.
Prior to joining Becknell, Matt was Chief Investment Officer of Estridge Homes assisting with development. Matt was Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Duke Realty Corporation, an over $8.0 billion publicly traded real estate investment trust. Matt was named to that position in January 2004. He had had been with Duke since 1990, serving as Senior Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer before his 2004 promotion.
Before joining Duke, Matt spent eight years with Ernst & Young. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting from Purdue University in 1982 and is a Certified Public Accountant.
Matt is a member of the Board of Directors for the following organizations:
United Way of Central Indiana
Cathedral High School
St. Mary’s Child Center
Western Golf Association
Matt earned an Evans Scholarship to Purdue University through the Evans Scholars program as a caddy and was instrumental in bringing a caddy program to Wood Wind Golf Club in 2009. Matt and Doc together combined their efforts to bring Wood Wind Golf Club to a new standard, enhanced the bottom line results, and started the “Doc” O’Neal Golf Academy at Wood Wind in 2009. Cohoat and O’Neal established a new sense of pride that resulted in a wonderful golf experience for all golfers who played Wood Wind Golf Club in the past five years.
Matt and his wife Jan have four children, Jimmy (Wife Alli), Kelly, Joey and Bobby. They are active members of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church. Matt is a Coach of various youth basketball and baseball teams.
The scope of services that Cohoat and O’Neal Management Corp. can provide is very broad in range. In addition, collaborative resources would be available per relationships and networks that have been established.
Scope of Services for Golf
- Organizational Structure
- Acquisitions and Lease Management Agreements
- Business Analysis
- Revenue Growth
- Expense Management
- Complete Financial Analysis and Labor Analysis
- Budgeting, Forecasting and Long Term Planning
- Monthly Reporting
- Service Training
- Golf Operations
- Food and Beverage
- Maintenance Assessment Review and Procedures/Course Agronomics
- Meeting with Department Heads and Assistants
- Website, Social Network and Technology
- Equipment Lease Review
- Policies and Procedures
- Insurance Review
- Economies and Efficiencies
- Licenses and Permits
- Membership Analysis
- Amenities Study
- Capital Needs Review
Cohoat and O’Neal Management Corp. are involved in the following properties:
- Wood Wind Golf Club – public golf facility in Westfield, Indiana - leased and operated/managed since January of 2011. Increased annual rounds from 17,000 – 32,000 in less than two years
- Completed comprehensive study and marketing plan for the City of Carmel, Indiana. Municipally owned golf course, Brookshire Golf Club – 2011.
- The Golf Preserve at Frankfort – operated/managed since December of 2011. Reduced shortfall in 2011 of $ 228,000 to less than $ 100,000 in 2014. Budgeted for a shortfall for the City/County owned facility to be less than a $ 75,000 shortfall in 2015. Agreement is fee based.
- Prairie View Golf Club – owned and operated/managed since May 21st, 2013 – Carmel, Indiana. Increased rounds from 20,000 to 23,600 in less than 18 months
- Cattails Golf Club – Elwood, Indiana – provided maintenance consulting throughout the years of 2013 and 2014 – management fee per agreement
- Chatham Hills Golf Course – (Westfield, Indiana) new private residential golf course development to start construction in November of 2014 – providing weekly/monthly consulting work for owner/developer through 2016
- Echo Farms Golf Club – Wilmington, North Carolina – called in by Applied Golf, Inc. (the management company) to assist in consulting and marketing plans for two months in 2013. Consulted on revenue growth only!
Cohoat and O’Neal Management Corp.
2302 West 161st Street,
Westfield, Indiana 46074
Phone number is 317.669.8558